Holt, T. J., Bossler, A. M., & Seigfried-Spellar, K. C. (2017). Cybercrime and Digital Forensics (2nd Edition). Taylor & Francis. https://online.vitalsource.com/books/9781315296951 (THIS IS THE TEXTBOOK THAT IS USED)
We can apply literature and evidence-based data findings in order to evoke higher-order analytic thinking and creative processes. Application of such research helps us support reasonable decision-making.
For this assignment, you will be using critical thinking to elaborate on why ongoing research contributions are necessary to the field of forensic science. Begin by using your textbook and the CSU Online Library to locate information on digital forensic acquisition and preservation of evidence. Select one topic to discuss (either pertaining to acquisition or preservation), and address the following topics.
- Introduce the topic, and summarize key points.
- Identify legal implications.
- Identify potential challenges.
- Provide a solution for one of the ongoing problems in this area.
An example is outlined below.
- Article discusses preservation of computer forensic evidence.
- Courts require authenticity when presenting evidence; therefore, duplicated data must be able to show verification of forensically-sound handling and duplication. Discuss Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals and the Daubert Standard. Expand on Title 42 U.S. Code 2000aa-7.
- Expand on hash algorithms and how the use of hashing allows for duplication of evidence and presentation of authenticated evidence. Agencies that employ or use computer forensic laboratory resources must recognize that computer forensic examiners need to 1) adhere to a set of scientific standards that include a chain of custody policy when working with digital evidence, 2) use standard operating procedures (and show proof of such) that assure known results from duplication and authentication, and 3) follow policies that meet standards of forensic science and expert witness testimony as made known by the courts.
The presentation must be at least 10 slides in length, not counting title slide and references slide. Approximately 56 bulleted points per slide should be evident. It is recommended that images be used to enhance visual content but must not take up the majority of space on a slide. Adhere to APA Style when creating citations and references for this assignment. APA formatting, however, is not necessary.
Review the PowerPoint Basics tutorial for guidelines and principles you might find helpful in completing this assignment.