Instructions on Assessment:
Submit a 3000 word structured essay, in which you critically evaluate the practices/behaviours in an organisation of your choice. You will research the organisation to identify practices/behaviours that are problematic and require investigation as well as recommendations to attend to the issues identified. You will write from either the symbolic or contemporary theoretical perspectives (only choose one perspective to write), using Organisation Theory from the most relevant theme (only choose one theme of the following themes) taught in the module. The perspective needs to be carried through the assignment and present through every section.
The themes that we will cover in the module are (only choose one theme of the following to write the assessment) :
o Structure and Agency
o Organisational Learning, Tacit Knowledge and Knowledge Management
o Aesthetics, Performance and Narrative
o Power and Control
Guidance for writing the essay (Essay structure):
1) Introduction to the essay and rationale for the choice of organisation [10%]
2) A brief section justifying your choice of theoretical perspective: either the symbolic or the contemporary and how this impacts on your writing approach [20%]
3) A critical literature review on the one theme that you consider to have the greatest importance for that organisation, using either the symbolic or the contemporary theoretical perspective as your context [20%]
4) Critical evaluation of the practices/behaviours of the case organisation in relation to the selected theme through critical application of the reviewed theories [30%]
5) Conclusions [10%]
6) Reference list (APA format): Cite no fewer than 5 contemporary academic journal articles that are discussed in the essay. You should also cite 2 additional references from books, textbooks, credible news outlets and professional journals [10%]
Citation Book List (Need to cite in the assessment)
• Hatch, Mary Jo. 2018. Organization theory: modern, symbolic and postmodern perspectives. 4th edition. Oxford university press.
Guidance for choice of the organisation :
You can select an organisation you are familiar with, e.g. your placement organisation or an organisation you would like to work with.
Word limits and penalties
If the assignment is within +10% of the stated word limit no penalty will apply.
The word count is to be declared on the front page of your assignment and the assignment cover sheet. The word count does not include:
• Title and Contents page • Reference list • Appendices • Appropriate tables, figures and illustrations
• Glossary • Bibliography • Quotes from interviews and focus groups.
Please note, in text citations [e.g. (Smith, 2011)] and direct secondary quotations [e.g. “dib-dab nonsense analysis” (Smith, 2011 p.123)] are INCLUDED in the word count.
If this word count is falsified, students are reminded that under ARTA this will be regarded as academic misconduct.
If the word limit of the full assignment exceeds the +10% limit, 10% of the mark provisionally awarded to the assignment will be deducted.
Instructions on Assessment: