For this assignment, you will demonstrate the communication skills and problem management and opportunity development approach you have worked on throughout the course. You have reviewed more than two dozen cases in the exercise manual for The Skilled Helper textbook. The cases have presented diverse settings (for example, counseling office, probation office, personnel office, employment office, FEMA, school, military, et cetera). The clients have varied in age from adolescent to older adult. The clients have been culturally and racially diverse.
Choose one case from the following list of exercises in your exercise manual: Exercise 3.6, 4.3, 4.5, 5.2, 5.3, 8.7, or 9.8. Then, complete the following four assignment components:
- Setting:Identify your selected case. Explicitly state the setting in which your interaction with the client takes place. The case in the exercise manual may imply the setting. Provide a 1–2 paragraph description of the situation and setting.
- Identity of Client:The case you select may or may not describe the age, gender, race, ethnicity, and culture of the client. You will want to provide these details; if the case study does not specify, make up the details as needed. Write a 1–2 page description of the client’s identity and the interplay between identity and the problem presented. You can describe the client’s stage in life, gender dynamics, race or ethnicity, economic status, et cetera. Research theories that align with your client’s identity. Identify an appropriate identity model or theory that aligns to your client description. Use two peer-reviewed journal articles published in the last five years to support your description.
- Helper Self-Identity:Write 1–2 paragraphs about your own identity. Describe how your identity might impact the way you understand and communicate your client’s message.
- Client Dialogue: Create a 2–3 page dialogue of a session with the client. Incorporate the direct quote from the client offered in the exercise manual at the beginning of the dialogue. In your response to the client, incorporate active listening through the use of identifying the core message, summarizing, probing, empathic responses, brainstorming for possibilities, and turning possibilities into goals. Highlight each of the following in your dialogue:
- A formula for empathy.
- Brainstorming on possibilities for action.
- At least one suggestion for turning possibilities into a goal.
- A potential referral source to the client that aligns with and/or supports the goal.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Length: 4–6 pages, plus a cover page and references page. An abstract is not required.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Include 2 recent, peer-reviewed journal articles.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point font